6.13.2012

My Weekend Was Better Than Yours (except that one part)

So, this weekend the darling hubby and I went on a road trip.  Our destination?  Octagon Hall, for a day (and night) of ghost hunting.  Now, Octagon Hall, for those of you too lazy to click the link, is in southwestern Kentucky, south of Bowling Green.  We probably could've driven down on Saturday, but the hubby didn't want to rush, so we left Friday afternoon.  This left us with some extra time before the thing started on Saturday, so we decided to go to Lost River Cave.  Most of western Kentucky is riddled with caves, and this particular one is right in the middle of of Bowling Green.  It also involved a boat ride.  While there are better caves in the area (Mammoth cave comes to mind) it was a nice (and quick) diversion for the afternoon.  The spiel the tour guides had was also quite entertaining (such as the bit about the wishing rock--if you didn't duck, you'd wish you had).  It was a very young cave, and still actively being formed.

From there we headed down to Octagon Hall for our event.  It was a big organized event with some of the folks from Ghost Hunters and a couple of other well known people in the field  (John Tenney was amazing).  I don't think the organizers thought things through really well though, because they didn't allow for a dinner break (there was a concession stand, but a hot dog and chips only goes so far) and the first half of it was presentations and meet and greets--on the site, in a tent, with only port a johns and no plumbing.  It might have worked better to do that part at the hotel, methinks.  We did finally get around to the ghost hunting bit around 10 pm.  The ghosts were pretty quiet, but we did get a little activity.  It was pretty interesting, and the only time I've ever been in a situation where it was appropriate to talk to empty air.

However, as awesome as the rest of the trip was, the coup de grace was on the way back.  See, as we were heading down, we passed a sign for Dinosaur World.

Dinosaur World.

Of course, we had to stop on the way back.

How do you say no to this?

Yes, this is where I took all my pictures (it didn't help that I forgot my camera and phone charger, so my battery was dead for the other two).    I could tell you about how awesome all the dinosaurs were, or I could show you the pictures.

Even the ashtrays were awesome!

The factual information was questionable, but the life size dinosaurs were fabulous.  Of course, who goes to Dinosaur World for facts?

You go to Dinosaur World for dinosaurs looking at you suggestively.

You also go for creepy headed scary dinosaurs.
 
And for giant dinosaurs who want to eat you.

And for cute little baby dinosaurs.

Don't worry, I won't ruin them all for you.  Still, the whole thing is very much like someone said, "Damn, I've outgrown my toy dinosaurs.  I know!  I'll make them lifesize!"  The coloring and sculpts are very toy like, which adds to the fun.

And they still found a use for the toy dinos in the museum.

Even the bathrooms were covered in dinosaurs.

...so this is how I paint our bathrooms?

It was definitely worth the stop, even if we did wind up getting stuck in traffic afterwards for an hour (before we made a u turn and went back to the last exit) and had to spend another hour detouring around the wreck that held us up.  A detour which spat us out a measly three miles ahead of where we'd been, mind you (that's the part that wasn't better than your weekend).

All in all it was a great trip, and both us would love to head out that way again for a mini vacation.  I don't think I'd like to live there, but Western Kentucky was a nice place to visit.

3 comments:

  1. That weekend definitely beat mine! I'm quite jealous of how great your weekend was, minus the detour.

    I've always wanted to do one of the investigation/tours with someone from the Ghost Hunters show, but just never can seem to make it work out. Once my husband starts school we will be going on fewer trips, so I might have to save up for something like this & surprise him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete