2.16.2011

Puttering Part IV

Not a lot of serious stuff being done right now, and there probably won't be until I finish my Christmas weaving, but here's some little things for your enjoyment.


So, here's the finished bobbin lace sample I was working on before.  Not fancy, but serviceable.  I'll be working on samples out of my book for a while, until I really feel competent.  If you want to follow along, I'm working out of Doris Southard's Lessons in Bobbin Lacemaking.  This is the first edging in lesson two.  I'll also be experimenting with a variety of different threads, too.  Traditional lace is done with a very fine thread, but I like something a little more substantial.  I might have mentioned before, but this is a silk embroidery thread.  Pretty sturdy, probably around 10-12 epi, to use a weaving measurement (that's ends per inch, or the number of times you can fit the width of one thread into an inch, for those who have no clue what I'm talking about).



We got these adorable bookmarks in at work with all these colorful owls on them.  It was fifty cents for ten of 'em, and that was before my discount.  I'd also been looking for something to put in those sweet frames.  I snipped out the purple owls, cut out a square of the rest of the bookmark, and pasted 'em together.  They were so much fun I made my buddy Laura a pair with brown owls (her choice).  I should probably wear these soon, they're so cute!


I ordered these ametrines on ebay and had to wait over month for them to come in from Singapore.  They're definitely heat treated, or otherwise man manipulated, since ametrine doesn't naturally occur in green and yellow, but the price was right and the stones are so clear and pretty I couldn't pass 'em up.  And it's my favorite stone.  The real trick, of course, was making triangular jump rings.


So, every once in a while I find some really awesome ready made components at Michael's.  This was one such case.  Pretty much I just added some jump rings (and not that many, either) but it makes for a super hot choker.


Here's a detail.  Each pack of components consisted of four bars alternating and preconnected.  No work on my part, but still awesome and blingy.  Kudos to whoever did the original design work on the pieces.


So last, but not least, we have giant squid.  The hubby got a couple expansion packs for Survive!  Escape from Atlantis in at the shop and of course, I immediately saw jewelry components.  A bit of drilling and wirework later, I now have fabulous earrings and a necklace.  The overall effect on is a bit much, but both pieces wear well on their own.

On a completely unrelated note, if there are any particular projects of mine you want to see featured here let me know, my beloved legion of invisible cats.  Also, let me know if there's a particular topic you'd like to see me rant on and I'll do my best to entertain and oblige.  Not all requests will be granted, but all will be considered.  As before, silence means you approve of my original plans to do whatever I want.

Until next time, Linda out.

No comments:

Post a Comment