6.28.2011

Adventures in the Dreamlands

So, I often have adventures in my sleep.  Usually, it's just wacky fun dreams, but occasionally, well...things happen.  I didn't realize how much until I got married.  I mean there was that one dream when I was kid and I was chasing this jerk at the bus stop and I simultaneously slapped him in the dream and my window shade in real life, thus waking myself up, but for the most part, I always thought I was pretty quiet.  You know, maybe a bit of snoring here, a brief incomprehensible mumble there, nothing weird.

That is not the case.

Now, I'm not a somnambulist or anything, but things do happen from time to time.  I've instructed the hubby to tell me in the morning so I know about my adventures and our conversations.  Usually it's a bit of talking--I'll ask a seemingly normal question, he'll answer, I'll follow up with utter nonsense, he'll tell me to go back to sleep, and I will.  Whatever I say is completely unrelated to whatever I'm dreaming.  I ask about unicorns?  I'm dreaming about my teeth falling out.  There's no correlation or pattern at all.  This is on maybe a monthly basis, and depends in part on my stress level (the more freaked out I am the worse it gets).  However, there have been a couple of incidents where things went a bit further.  In the interest of entertainment, I shall now relay these to you in semi chronological order.

I had recently started working at a bookstore and things at work were a bit intense.  Lots of books.  The section I ran had a higher volume coming in than most of the rest of the store, so I'd been busting my butt putting out merchandise.  One night, I awoke the husband, picking at his shorts.  When he told to me stop it, I then commenced making the same motion in the air.  When he asked what I was doing, I responded, "Just one more box.  Just one more box." 

I was shelving books in my sleep.  That's gotta be sign of something.

The next one I often deny and blame on my darling hubby.  I was innocently sleeping, having one of "those" dreams, when I was slowly awakened by my husband working to make that dream a reality.  When I finally realized I was conscious I was very confused.  "What are you doing?" I said groggily.  "This is nice but I'm way too tired."

His confusion was even greater than mine.  Apparently, I'd started it.  In my sleep.

The most recent one, however, cracked me up.  You see, when the hubby's out and I have to go to sleep by myself, I often take a stuffed toy to bed, sort of as a stand in to cuddle until he gets back.  Childish, I know, but he thinks it's cute, and it makes it easier to fall asleep.  Also, I'm a grown up, so I can do whatever I want.  Usually he pulls the plush from me and places it on my nightstand or the headboard.  The other night, he forgot to do this.  Now, the favored toy is a pink unicorn he got for me for Valentine's Day one year, and this was the toy in question on this particular night.  I reportedly woke him up, shoving the unicorn (Spike) at him, urging him to take it.  When pressed, he couldn't recall my exact words, but apparently I was really convinced that he needed the unicorn for some reason.

I really wish I knew what I was thinking sometimes.

 

It's dangerous to go alone!  Take this.

1 comment: