3.09.2011

Ponies!!!!!!

I promised ponies last time, and I intend to deliver.  Ordinarily, this would be an artsy post, but I figure y'all deserve something lighthearted after last time.  Also, we're getting ready to move, so artsyness is kind of on hold.  Don't want to get into anything too involved right now.  And packing should probably be happening.

Anyway, ponies.

Specifically, My Little Ponies.  You should know by now that I have a weakness for these, especially if you work or live with me.  Two lurk amongst my potted plants, there's a shoe box of them around here somewhere, and there's even a small herd on my self at work.

Although those occasionally get into trouble on my days off.

So, it should come as no surprise that when I found a copy of season one of My Little Pony at work it came home with me.  I tried to resist, I really did, but the ponies compelled me.  And so I found myself watching the ten parter, "The End Of Flutter Valley".  Thank god it aired in a half hour block with something else, because if I had had to watch 200 minutes of that in one sitting my brain would have exploded.

Like this.

You see, I was convinced that I had somehow missed out on seeing this show as a child.  I seriously thought I'd never seen it.  But as I began watching, it seemed oddly familiar.  Especially the voice of one of the ponies.  And then I put it together--Gusty had the voice of Bart Simpson.  No really--Nancy Cartwright did the voices for both.  I think you can only image the surreal flavor this gave the show.  Now add to that the pony with gems for eyes and all the sun worshiping, and you have to wonder what the creators were thinking.

 Just look at those soulless gemstone eyes.


There's a song for this, too.  I'll spare you that.

So, anyway, our story is your basic land grab--some witches want flutter valley, and need to boot them out to get it.  Because they're incompetent, they decide to call in the bees.

 

Now this is when I realized I watched this as a child.  It was the bee with the mohawk and eyepatch that did it.  Well, that and his drug addict queen (yeah, she's a total glutton for the red clover nectar).  Somehow, I had completely blocked this show.  But the damn bees brought it back.  Now, long story short, the ponies are put in constant peril, but always get out of it, usually by tricking the really stupid villians.  My particular favorite is the Pony Magic song.



Now, the line that really bothers me is about how pony magic is really useful when you're in trouble.  Really?  Because they're singing this while in a fucking net.  if it was so useful, why didn't they use it to get out of the net?  But no, they trick Stupid Witch number three into untying them, and then smoothly dump her in the net like they do this stuff all the time.  Something about this extremely well choreographed bit is just plain wrong.  Of course, it's remedied in about three seconds when the ponies run into a giant sheet of fly paper.

Of course, by the end of it, they save the day and rescue flutter valley.  But oh, the acid trip to get there.


I have to go now before the ponies make my head explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment